Thursday, December 17, 2009

Soccer season ends

This post is about 6 weeks behind. Better late than never!

This was the first year Seth got to play organized sports. He has always had a certain love for soccer and was so very excited to play! Seth was able to play in the pee wee league because the cut off was Nov 15, meaning he had to be 5 by than. His September birthday sometimes can be tricky! Anyway, since he made the cut off that meant he was playing with 5-7 year olds even though 2/3 of the season he was 4! Okay, keep with me. I was a little worried because he was the youngest kid of the team by far. Most kids were in the 1st grade already and Seth hasn't even started Kindergarten!

Well we went to his first practice and it was very obvious that he was the youngest one...meaning he was slower than every kid, didn't kick near as well, and his attention span was much shorter. After the first practice I thought about pulling him out, I wanted to protect him and not have him play with kids that were much more advanced. Loren, the level headed one here said no, that this would be a great learning experience for Seth. So I let Loren be the great Dad that he is and went with his advice. And well he was right! Each practice, each game, Seth learned something new and gradually got a lot better. It was a process and all along the way he LOVED IT! I guess I wanted to be a helicopter parent and save him from getting made fun of for not being near as good as the other kids. I'm just used to Seth always excelling at everything. In the end he had a great coach, coach Aaron, he learned a lot about soccer, and well he really wants to play again come spring!

















































1 comment:

Michelle said...

Oh Katie this makes me laugh because Christian keeps telling me hes wants to play soccer everytime we drive by the fields. I humor him, but inside far he will still want to next year when it's the season again.