Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I took the control back!

Well that implies I had it in the first place! haha! I'm talking about my wonderful Seth's PICKY eating! We all know Seth is a picky picky little eater! For the past 2 years he has lived on carbs and diary. Well I had one of those moments last week when you realize something's gota give. Loren and I have talked for awhile about changing Seth's eating habits. We have talked with his Doctor and his advice was: try and introduce new foods but don't engage in a food battle; since this has nothing to do with food but rather his personality and need to control his environment. Well this mumbo jumbo was probably right but at the same time we felt if we didn't do something soon than he'd be living on pasta, cheese, and yogurt the rest of his life.

So here's what I did! I sat him down and explained he is going to start eating meat (something he HATES), veggies, and fruit. I told him he needs these to have a healthy body and to grow up strong like his Dad. During this conversation he rarely talked but I could tell he was listening. And at the end of it I told him I'm taking the control back and I'm over his picky eating!! He gave me a hug and that was that.

So the real test begin that night for dinner! I would normally make him something different if I knew he wouldn't touch what Loren and I were having. But I didn't, I put everything we were eating right on his plate. We grilled that night so I gave him a hot dog, steamed broccoli, and little red potatoes. And GUESS WHAT, the kid ATE it! Yes Mom, I know you are reading this thinking YEAH RIGHT...but its true, he ate it with little disagreement...hey the kid is 4 he's going try and get out of it right? But Loren and I stuck to our guns and told him, "no you're eating it, no discussion".

And I'm happy to update, its been a week and he's done AWESOME!!! Here is a list of what he has eaten:
peas, grilled chicken, scalloped potatoes, eggs, green beans, corn, stuffing, and chicken nugget's (the entire nugget, not just the ends...go ahead and laugh Mom and Dad!!)

I am really proud of him and myself for the change!!!!

Now If I could just get him to stop burping than life would be complete...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome Katie!!!! so...since I have a boy now, will I have deal with all the little boy behaviors like they think are SOOOO hilarious like burping and tooting???

Katie said...

Thanks! Yep when Seth it about 3 the world became about burping and passing gas...lol Its actually kind of cute! Gota love little boys!